Monday, 11 June 2007

Boyd Motel


Last year I made a stillborn attempt to buy the Robin Boyd designed Dower House. A few well-dressed guys mocked my borrowing power and I never even raised my hand to bid. I left the auction dejected and sulking, but mortgage-free.

And now it's up for rent. At $1500 per week I still can't afford it, but it looks as lovely as ever.


Boyd was one of Australia's most prominent post-war architects and a vocal advocate for the development of an Australian style that suited the climate and surrounds. The Dower house is a compact representation of his ideas


The Dower house is right by Boyd's Baker House, arguably his finest work, and sits nearby to a studio designed by Sir Roy Grounds. That's some pretty impressive architecture sitting in the bush outside of Melbourne

No comments: