Thursday, 21 January 2010

The end of the garden....

Last week I harvested the end of the garden vegetables. There wasn't a great yield - a handful of broad beans and a row of little baby beetroot. The rest of the garden has gone to seed.

It was kind of sad, as I would usually be ripping things out now and planting new seedlings, but there was no point right now, so I just let it all go.


Anyway, I made a beetroot and bean salad with yoghurt and mint. It was pretty delicious, and a lovely finale to the last 3 years of home grown veges.


The new house has a barren vege plot, situated in a terrible site, which I don't think I will plant at this stage. There are some pretty good herbs growing (oregano, rosemary), a random lone rhubarb, and some scrawny raspberry plants, but not much else. The good news is that there are lots of fruit trees - several varieties of plums, and a tall pear tree which sits right outside the living room door and reaches to our bedroom window.


I've never had pears available on a tree, and am looking forward to some good preserves when the time is right.

We are going crazy this week with painting and cleaning, and the big move is on Saturday. I think the blog will have to have a bit of a re-jig, but I'm still working on that one.

This morning I opened all the windows of our house here in Sefton and was immediately assaulted by the combined stench of porcine and bovine effluent, and I have to say it made me a little sad to think that earthy smell won't be part of my daily life anymore. But, then I realised that neither will the flies that go with it, and I wasn't so sad.

No comments: