Friday, 6 February 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner!

The Fruit Loaf Project has come to an end with the discovery of an old Women's Weekly recipe for a fruit cake. It is dense and moist and passed the crucial 48 hour later taste test.

I intended to make a fresh cake two days prior to our departure for the start of the Coast to Coast, but this cake was so massive I cut it in half and I've frozen the other half to take with us.....risky, I know, but I'm willing to take that risk.

In other news, the flies are driving us crazy. They seem to be everywhere and are those annoying little ones that hover around and gently settle on your ankles, or face, or hand... I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the farm gets a daily splattering of fertilising pig poo, and if the wind is unfavourable the house becomes drenched with the fetid odour of this nutrient-giving effluent. I hate fly spray, so I've stuck those ugly stickers on the windows which are meant to kill them, but they don't seem to be working very well. I counted seven flies settled on the duvet as I lay in bed this morning. Icky poo.

No comments: