Sunday, 15 March 2009

Austin, TX

Well, here we are - we've been here a day or so and it is pretty nuts. Can I just say that I wish I had discovered the joy of anxiety medication ages ago - they made flying a whole new experience - I didn't sweat, or cry, or gasp when the plane got bumpy and I actually slept - SLEPT - while on board which is a first for me (yes, last year when we went to Paris I stayed awake the entire time so that I could be really ready for when the plane plummeted from the sky). So I arrived in Austin, TX feeling vaguely normal, which was a plus.

We are staying in a really cute little house South of downtown with a pretty sweet set up - the woman renting it to us was so excited about have some New Zealanders staying there she went and bought us some "Wallaby Yoghurt" to make us feel at home. Nice.

The conference started yesterday - at the moment it's mainly just the film and interactive arms and Matt and Tim are here for the interactive part - can i just say that I didn't realise just how geeky they are. Actually, I didn't realise how geeky the whole world has become - i thought I had my finger on the geek-pulse what with my maths degree etc, but man, technology is advancing the geek network at the speed of light (well, not quite that fast but pretty darn fast).

Here are the geeks:


I tagged along to a coupld of seminars (and sat there knitting) and man I didn't have a clue what they were talking about - the only word I understood was 'blog', but there were tumblrs, flickrs, twitters, microblogs, interfaces blah blah blah blah. I thought I was a huge nerd, but I've got nothing on these guys.

No comments: