Saturday, 19 September 2009

Nature in our kitchen.

In the corner of our kitchen window we have a resident spider (I call her Miss Spider). She is one of those fat black ones, that usually just sits up there watching us, and is seldom seen out and about. Well, the other day there was a large annoying blow fly buzzing around the kitchen (now that the weather has warmed up, the paddocks are being spread with effluent which tends to attract the flies). Anyways, despite my efforts to shoo the fly outside, it just wouldn't go, but, it did (unfortunately for it) land on Miss Spider's web.

Well, Miss Spider was out in a flash and murdered the fly in seconds. And I got it all on camera!


It was all over in a couple of minutes - Miss Spidey retreated and took the fly carcass with her. I thought that was the end of it, but this morning found this:

Hundreds of baby spiders hatching from the corner. Eeew! For some reason that crosses a line, and now I'm going to have to vacuum them all up (including Miss Spider - sorry lady, but you can't just come in and set up shop and have hundreds of babies).

2 comments:

s01ipsist said...

Maybe you could hand pick one or two babies to keep Mrs Spider's line going (and the kitchen free of flies)

Lil and Matt said...

Actually, that's close to what I actually did. I vacuumed Miss Spider and her babies but found a medium sized young spider in the opposite corner which I have left... here's hoping I achieve the right balance to keep the flies at bay without being overrun by spidies!