Saturday, 12 September 2009

Satisfy that craving....

Well, this afternoon, after a particularly tiring 24 hours, I was struck by a huge craving for KFC (which doesn't happen often, but when it does it is a powerful thing and rarely abates until I've actually bought and eaten some drumsticks, only to be reminded of how foul it makes you feel immediately afterwards).

The more observant of you may remember that when we visited Oakland in March, we were big fans of the Bakesale Betty's and in particular her fired chicken sandwiches. This was a fact that Matt remembered, while I was in my KFC obsessed state. The wise man insisted we track down the ingredients and when we got home, I set about recreating that most amazing of fried chicken dishes.

It's a pretty full on recipe for me, involving marinating the chicken in buttermilk, and soaking onions in red wine vinegar, but it was worth the fiddly bits - two hours later I unveiled my attempt at Bakesale Betty's Fried Chicken Sandwich:


It was amazing, the fried chicken was crunchy and spicy and the coleslaw was fresh and crisp and just so yummy. I compared it to the photo I took in Oakland of the real deal, and I have to say that I really did do it justice.

Mmmm, crunchy fried chicken. Gone is my KFC craving, and even better - I don't have that post-KFC grossness feeling.

No comments: